Skip to main content

Thoughts on Streets of Rage 4



One of the reasons that I love beat ‘em ups is because of their over-the-top action packaged in a comic book type story. They are short but highly replayable, and despite their linear progression, they offer a surprising amount of depth in terms of movesets, character positioning, and destructible environments that players can experiment with while reaching for high scores.

Streets of Rage 4 gave me everything that I expected and continued to surprise me even after I had beaten it as I learned more tricks. The story in the game is reminiscent of 80s and 90s action movies where a group of vigilantes have to take down an evil syndicate.
This is basically the plot of 90% of beat ‘em ups, but what really separates them are character, enemy, and stage designs. SoR4 is set in an urban environment, so most of the time you're fighting in the city, but occasionally the game puts you in special thematic zones like in Chinatown where you have to take down baddies expert in martial arts. There is a section designed around a music concert, another one takes place in an art gallery, and yet another in a police station.

So not only do you get to visit all these different locales, but you get to test your skill against opponents that are specific to that environment. One of my favorite areas was the airplane section where you have to defeat the main villain as the plane comes crashing down. It is one of the most exhilarating levels I’ve played in a side-scroller.

SoR is a very technical game. You need to learn how to position yourself to avoid enemy attacks while timing your own moves perfectly. The game rewards perfection, allowing you to chain together combos to insanely high numbers, multiplying the points you get which gives you additional lives and a ranking at the end of the level.
Initially, I struggled with the fighting mechanic because the last beat ‘em up I played, TMNT: Shredder's Revenge, was very swift. This one was slower. But as I learned to use my specials effectively, the gameplay became smoother.

The trick is that while your special drains your health, it offers you temporary invincibility and throws all surrounding enemies to the ground where they remain helpless. It takes a while to get the timing right, but once you do, the game makes you feel really powerful.
The bosses are all great but more difficult to build combos on because they get those invincible moves too where you can't stagger them at all.

I beat the game once as Blaze then again as Cherry. Blaze’s movesets were of a typical heavy fighter while Cherry moved swiftly across the screen and could even run. Better yet, she smashed the villains with her guitar. So, of course, I liked Cherry better. But there are 4 main characters to choose from, then 3 more from the DLC, plus all the retro characters you unlock as you accumulate points.

The game definitely expects you to beat the levels multiple times. Some players have posted videos online where they have demonstrated exceptional skill on the hardest difficulty. But even on normal difficulty, the game is quite challenging. Be prepared to retry stages a couple of times until you memorize spawn points and animations of your opponents.

How much enjoyment you get out of it depends upon whether or not you are into this kind of side-scrolling action. These games were all the rage in the 90s as they drew inspiration from iconic action movies of that time. If you liked that era of entertainment, you are absolutely going to love the setting of SoR 4.

Environmental storytelling is rare because that era of action is gone. Occasionally you get good movies like John Wick that stay true to that spirit, but not much else. It's the same for beat ‘em ups. There have been a few classics like Muramasa, Dragon's Crown, and of course Shredder's Revenge, but they are not as popular as they used to be.

Personally, I find them very entertaining and I like how interactive they are. You can destroy background objects or visually take in the ambience of a level, whether it's a kitchen, a bar, or a building corridor. There is not much story here, but you definitely feel as if you are moving through a living, breathing world. It's funny how these retro games absolutely nailed this aspect using an art style that is highly exaggerated.

If you liked to play these arcade beat ‘em ups back when they were popular, you'll love SoR 4.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidGaming/s/jdg5333Y3P

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does collapsing a bubble with a sound wave produce light?

My thoughts on a reddit discussion  https://www.reddit.com/r/AskPhysics/comments/1lwxxc3/comment/n2jx8gp/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x&utm_name=mweb3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button The collapsing of a bubble with sound wave leads to the emission of light in a phenomenon known as sonoluminescnce.  The bubble collapse is rapid and the gas inside the core doesn't have time to exchange heat with the surroundings as it's compressed rapidly leading to what is known as adiabatic compression.  This compression heats up the gas to very high temp. The exact temperatures are inferred from the spectrum of emission which is thought to be a blackbody. But some sophisticated models have also been developed that put the temp in the range 5000k-20000k some even higher.  There's also debate on whether the bubble emission spectrum is truly a blackbody or is it line emission or bremsstrahlung? Personally I think its a mix of all three. The pressures create...

Workforce development isn't enough for innovation

Being one of the fastest growing regions in the world, Asia Pacific’s stature in the scientific community is growing as is the region's ambition to play a greater role  in shaping research through science diplomacy. I have had the good fortune of connecting with delegates from Singapore and South Korea in conferences last year. Similarly I had the opportunity to engage virtually with researchers from Australia during Australian Academy of Science’s flagship event ‘ Science at the shine dome ’ in 2025.  A few days ago I attended the International Science Council’s ( Asia Pacific chapter) quarterly meeting. Three things that stood out during my interactions were : focus on workforce development, democratization of science for greater public participation and emphasis on sustainability.  All three issues are highly relevant but for Asia Pacific in particular workforce development takes special priority as STEM courses are often viewed as a path to a prosperous f...

Update on the ASM committee meeting on the State of the Art in Material Upcycling for Additive Manufacturing

May 15 2026 I thank ASM sustainable manufacturing committee for organising a highly informative talk by Dr Sweta Baruah on the topic of Materials Upcycling in Additive manufacturing.  As it stands AM is far more material efficient than traditional manufacturing processes— producing less waste than subtractive manufacturing techniques (milling/turning/drilling/grinding).  Yet feedstock cost in AM remains high due to energy intensive processes used in its manufacturing. Typical powderisation techniques using gas or water atomisation consume much energy as do wire extrusion processes.  The desire to cut down the input energy serves as a powerful motivator to develop processes that can lower the cost and make AM more sustainable.  Traditional melt processing technologies for making powder or wire help with the reusability of waste streams and reduce energy input because compared to fresh feedstock there is no need for crushing ,chemical treatment,reduction etc.  Yet...

Steel composites integrating diamonds and carbon nanotubes

Incorporating hard materials like diamond or carbon nanotubes (CNTs) into steel presents unique challenges, particularly when using traditional melt processing techniques. Diamond, for example, is extremely difficult to integrate into steel via melting due to its thermal instability. However, diamond is routinely embedded in steel surfaces for cutting applications. In the electronics industry, steel wires coated with diamond are used to slice silicon crystals into thin wafers. Two main techniques are commonly employed for embedding diamond in metals: 1. Electroplating: Diamond powder is suspended in a metal ion electrolyte, usually nickel. When an electric current is applied, nickel deposits on the metal wire, trapping the diamond particles in place. 2. Sintering: For more demanding cutting tools, diamond can be embedded on metal surfaces using sintering, which fuses the particles to the substrate at high temperatures without melting the metal. Similar challenges exist when attempting ...

Perspective from EU Research & Innovation (R&I) Days 2025

I thank the European Commission for organising European Research & Innovation (R&I) Days 2025 and giving me a chance to participate in the event discussing the future of European research. Europe has had a long and storied tradition of science with philosophers like Locke,Hobbes,Descartes,Spinoza laying the groundwork for a scientific revolution producing the finest scientists who pushed the boundaries of human knowledge ,ushered the industrial revolution and birthed the modern world. Yet today the EU finds itself at crossroads struggling to retain talent and capitalise on its inventions. Horizon Europe defines key enabling technologies that could propel the EU far ahead of its competitors. Past Records show that Europe has the capability to do it. Its achievements in electronics,semiconductors,wind energy and development of advanced composites like GLARE are a testament to its enterprising citizens. Europe has made strong contributions in open source software and while some of...

If you like RPGs you should play Knights of The Old Republic

This summer on star wars day I decided to give Knights of the old Republic (KOTOR) a try. I like star wars franchise but I'm not too deep into the lore ,so initially , I was a bit undecided about the game but took a chance since I had heard from so many people that it's one of the best RPGs ever made. After finishing the game I've got to say that it's reputation is definitely well deserved. The game leans heavily towards narration and your choices can have long lasting impact on how the story plays out. Combat is real time action but you don't control characters directly rather issue commands via a pause menu. It takes a while to get used to but works very well especially on mobile touch screens. I felt that some abilities are way overpowered. Especially the light side ones that buff your characters and grant them extra turns.Even a dark ability' like destroy droid can clear out some of the toughest opponents in a few turns. From what I understand this game is b...

The Promise of Physical AI

11 Mar 2026 Yesterday at the 60th Edition of Cobotalks organised by I-Hub Foundation for Cobotics Technology Innovation Hub of IIT Delhi, I had a chance to attend a talk on physical AI by Dr Santanu Chaudhary, Former Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Delhi. This talk came just weeks after the India AI impact summit but I was excited nonetheless to learn more about some of the academic aspects of AI.  Dr. Santanu emphasized that while chatbots have taken over the mindspace there is more to AI than just interactions with a server on the cloud. The chatbots represent a more general-purpose intelligence, they are quietly disrupting several industries in the ‘knowledge-work’ space but physical AI is narrow task specific intelligence that has applications in industrial automation and handling tasks that are either too dangerous for humans or too much of a chore.  Autonomous vehicles are a great example of physical AI. They have demonstrated that it is...

The twisted fairy tales of blasphemous —stories of religious devotion, sadism and surrender

I had never played a souls-like game before,so when I saw that blasphemous was on sale earlier this summer I decided to buy and give it a try. I had heard a lot of good things about this game but it still managed to surprise me with the depth of its world.  The entire game takes place in a small town of cvstodia but the amount of lore it manages to pack is simply amazing. Rooted in Spanish christian mythology weaving together themes of religious devotion,inquisition,fanaticism, penitence and authority , the main story in the game is very unsettling.  Those who like fairy tales will find the narration familiar with each segment concluding with a moral lesson — but that lesson is entirely twisted and almost nightmarish. Exactly the opposite of a happy ending in a classic fairy tale.  The 'miracle’, a god-like entity, grants people's wishes in the most ironic ,punishing manner possible and people bear these tortures without complaining, thinking of it as a blessing.  Cv...

A Celebration of India's Electronic Component Manufacturing Scheme milestones: Pairing policy incentives with turbulent Innovation

A Celebration of India's Electronic Component Manufacturing Scheme milestones: Pairing policy incentives with turbulent Innovation 17 Nov 2025 After the incredible success of semicon India this September, India cellular and electronics association organised a lunch celebrating the success of Electronic components and manufacturing scheme at the Taj in New Delhi.  Minister for Electronics & IT Ashwini Vaishnaw, was joined by Minister of State for Electronics & IT Jitin Prasad , Secretary S Krishnan, Secretary Sushil Pal and various industry leaders who are helping to build a semiconductor manufacturing ecosystem in India. It was a unique opportunity for me to observe the collective decision making that goes into developing policies shaping the industry. Through exchange of ideas the policy makers have mapped in great detail the components that need to be in place for the initiative to succeed. The list was quite comprehensive including PCBs, oscillators, lith...

The African Century

Over the past 5 years I have been advocating  unification and industrialisation of Africa. During this time I have had the pleasure of interacting with several African business and political leaders from Tanzania,Kenya,Nigeria, South Africa,Uganda,Egypt,Sudan,Malawi,Liberia and more who share this vision. Africa is one of the largest contiguous land masses on the planet,with one of the world's youngest populations, an immense coastline ,deserts, mineral resources and arable land.  Its location provides it with supreme geopolitical advantage that can potentially project it's influence over all of Asia and the EU. Yet historical factors combined with present economic conditions has not only prevented Africa from actualising its potential but has also made it entirely dependent upon developed nations to satisfy the demands of modern nation states.  Predictably what we have seen in Africa is a continuation of extractive economics where African states supply raw ma...