This summer on star wars day I decided to give Knights of the old Republic (KOTOR) a try. I like star wars franchise but I'm not too deep into the lore ,so initially , I was a bit undecided about the game but took a chance since I have heard from so many people that it's one of the best RPGs ever made.
After finishing the game I've got to say that it's reputation is definitely well deserved. The game leans heavily towards narration and your choices can have long lasting impact on how the story plays out.
Combat is real time action but you don't control characters directly rather issue commands via a pause menu. It takes a while to get used to but works very well especially on mobile touch screens.
I felt that some abilities are way overpowered. Especially the light side ones that buff your characters and grant them extra turns.Even a dark ability' like destroy droid can clear out some of the toughest opponents in a few turns.
From what I understand this game is based dungeons and dragons ruleset. You are given so much freedom to build your character class that can be a bit overwhelming for some players. I'm no stranger to RPGs but I found having a guide to help me make the best choices for my character made the game more enjoyable. Experimentation in this game could otherwise become very time consuming because there is no way to redistribute skill points.
KOTOR has one of the best plot twists that I've ever seen in a video game and it easily exceeds the thrill that you'd feel while watching a movie or reading a book. Playing it in real time deepens the connect you have with the character especially when you are actually controlling the events and are responsible for their actions.
Even after 2 decades KOTOR maintains its cinematic quality. I'd like to talk more about the story but it would only spoil it for those who haven't played it. I'll just leave you with this — it significantly expands star wars universe to beyond sith and the republic and tells you a tale of far more ancient and powerful empires. It's a grand space adventure full of political intrigue in the shadow of an overarching threat that keeps you marching on.
It took me 33 hours to beat the game but rarely did I feel stuck. Every thing is so intentional and the fact that game is able to maintain its pace for such a long time really is a testament to how well it was originally designed.
The only part of the game that I disliked were turret sections. The shooting is very clunky and it often took me a few tries before I could get through them.
KOTOR 1 is no longer available on play store but you can buy a copy on steam and then find an archived apk online if you prefer to play on mobile.
Comments
Post a Comment